Skip to main content

Take the Meilaender Challenge #1: Reading the Psalms

"Blessed is the man... [whose] delight is in the law of the Lord." (Psalms 1:1-2)



In order to join with my students in some common activities during these weeks apart, I plan to issue a few "challenges" for those who are interested.  Here is the first: reading the psalms.

I intend to spend the coming weeks reading through the book of Psalms.  I will work through them at the rate of four per day: two each morning, two each evening.  I began with the first two this morning.  This should let me work through the entire book roughly over the course of the remaining semester.

I invite any of you who are interested to join me in this endeavor.  If you're so inclined, drop me a line (or comment on this post) letting me know that you're reading the psalms together with me.

More challenges coming soon.

Comments

  1. "Give heed to the voice of my cry,
    My king and my God,
    For to You I will pray.
    My voice You shall hear in the morning,
    O Lord;
    In the morning I will direct it to You,
    And I will look up." Psalm 5: 2-3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoever you are--glad you are reading along!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chinese Painting

The Wall Street Journal  has been running some interesting articles under the heading of "The Staying Inside Guide," offering suggestions for artistic or cultural resources to view online during the pandemic.  Yesterday I came across an interesting one entitled "Immersive Painted Worlds," on Chinese painting, about which I know virtually nothing.  (The article may be behind a subscription firewall.) The article has an impressive number of links to various things online, and I watched the first couple, a pair of 15-minute videos from a former BBC program called "The Culture Show," which together form an episode on "The Art of Chinese Painting."  I thought they were quite interesting.  The first episode introduced me to the Mogao Caves of Dunhuang , which I had never heard of before.  Located in the Gobi Desert, they contain a wealth of wall paintings and statues that are well over 1000 years old and were unknown to the outside world for cen...

Paris Cafes Open Again

Now this is good news: I just read in the Times  that cafés in Paris are once again able to open for outdoor service .  I've never even been to Paris, but that is still a welcome sign. I have written before--it probably deserves another reflection sometime--that this lockdown has not been a big deal for me.  I worry about the college, and naturally I'm not thrilled about a salary cut forced by the college's losses.  But in terms of my day-to-day life, the lockdown is more or less irrelevant.  It makes grocery shopping more of a pain, and it keeps me away from my office, but otherwise interferes with little that I want to do. But the thing that I do miss is the opportunity to get to Europe once in a while.  I had to cancel a planned trip to Germany with students over Easter.  And this very morning, as it happens, I was supposed to arrive in Poland for a conference of the Austrian Studies Association.  Alas, those trips were not to be. And ...

Dursli

Back to Gotthelf!  I have already mentioned that I re-read Gotthelf's novella about the five young women who were ruined by drink.  Last week I also re-read the second of his two early novellas tackling the problem of rural alcoholism, Dursli, der Brannteweinsäufer, oder Das heilige Weihnachtsabend  ( Dursli the Brandy Drinker, or The Holy Christmas Eve ).  This story also warns against the pubs springing up all over the Emmentaler countryside and their consequences for the rural poor.  But it is also--even more than I had remembered, in fact--set in the broader political context of the times. Gotthelf begins the novella, in fact, before he ever even introduces the main characters, with about a 10-page discourse on the problematic reception in Switzerland of the ideas of the French Revolution.  Its call for equality and freedom, he says, is naturally interpreted by the poorer classes not in terms of true Christian equality and freedom, but rather as a ...