Skip to main content

A Warning Against Drink


I have gotten several things read over the last few days, but I keep forgetting to post any of it.  Some more Gotthelf, but also a couple of other things.  I'll try to break them up in order to get a few more posts out of them!

Last Friday I finished another Gotthelf novella, Wie fünf Mädchen im Branntwein jämmerlich umkommen.  That title does not translate very well into English, or at least I don't think so.  Something like, How Five Young Women Perish Miserably Due to Brandy (or literally "in brandy").  It is an early work of Gotthelf's and a piece of social criticism.  When Gotthelf was writing (1838), the canton of Bern had recently liberalized its system for granting licenses to operate a pub.  At the same time, new methods of producing cheap brandy from different sources, including even the ubiquitous potato, were developed.  As a consequence, inns and pubs sprang up throughout the countryside, creating a new temptation for poor laborers and contributing to the ruin and poverty of many a family.

In protest and as a warning against the dangerous effects of this new, easy access to cheap liquor, Gotthelf wrote this novella of about 80 pages.  He describes the fates of five young women, first describing their backgrounds and how they began down the path of drunkenness, and then circling back to tell what became of each of them.  The stories are grim and  all too realistic, as the women become terribly ill, or give birth to multiple crippled and neglected children, or lose their sanity.  In one way or another, they all meet a sad and early end--an outcome, Gotthelf wants us to understand, that should have been preventable.

More posts coming in the next days on other things I've been reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chinese Painting

The Wall Street Journal  has been running some interesting articles under the heading of "The Staying Inside Guide," offering suggestions for artistic or cultural resources to view online during the pandemic.  Yesterday I came across an interesting one entitled "Immersive Painted Worlds," on Chinese painting, about which I know virtually nothing.  (The article may be behind a subscription firewall.) The article has an impressive number of links to various things online, and I watched the first couple, a pair of 15-minute videos from a former BBC program called "The Culture Show," which together form an episode on "The Art of Chinese Painting."  I thought they were quite interesting.  The first episode introduced me to the Mogao Caves of Dunhuang , which I had never heard of before.  Located in the Gobi Desert, they contain a wealth of wall paintings and statues that are well over 1000 years old and were unknown to the outside world for cen...

Paris Cafes Open Again

Now this is good news: I just read in the Times  that cafés in Paris are once again able to open for outdoor service .  I've never even been to Paris, but that is still a welcome sign. I have written before--it probably deserves another reflection sometime--that this lockdown has not been a big deal for me.  I worry about the college, and naturally I'm not thrilled about a salary cut forced by the college's losses.  But in terms of my day-to-day life, the lockdown is more or less irrelevant.  It makes grocery shopping more of a pain, and it keeps me away from my office, but otherwise interferes with little that I want to do. But the thing that I do miss is the opportunity to get to Europe once in a while.  I had to cancel a planned trip to Germany with students over Easter.  And this very morning, as it happens, I was supposed to arrive in Poland for a conference of the Austrian Studies Association.  Alas, those trips were not to be. And ...

Dursli

Back to Gotthelf!  I have already mentioned that I re-read Gotthelf's novella about the five young women who were ruined by drink.  Last week I also re-read the second of his two early novellas tackling the problem of rural alcoholism, Dursli, der Brannteweinsäufer, oder Das heilige Weihnachtsabend  ( Dursli the Brandy Drinker, or The Holy Christmas Eve ).  This story also warns against the pubs springing up all over the Emmentaler countryside and their consequences for the rural poor.  But it is also--even more than I had remembered, in fact--set in the broader political context of the times. Gotthelf begins the novella, in fact, before he ever even introduces the main characters, with about a 10-page discourse on the problematic reception in Switzerland of the ideas of the French Revolution.  Its call for equality and freedom, he says, is naturally interpreted by the poorer classes not in terms of true Christian equality and freedom, but rather as a ...