Skip to main content

Alias, or Real Life


I mentioned yesterday that I'd managed to read several things over the past week.  And believe it or not, not all of them were by Gotthelf!  On Saturday I decided I should give myself a break and read something else for a change, so that morning I decided to finish off a book I'd been in the middle of for a while, Alias, oder Das wahre leben (Alias, or Real Life), by Felix Philipp Ingold.  Ingold is a Swiss author, editor, translator, and journalist; there isn't much about him in English, and I don't think any of his books have been translated, but you can read a one-paragraph summary of him here.

It was an interesting book, partly because of the premise.  It purports to tell the life story of one Kirill Beregow, alias Carl Berger, a Volga Russian of German descent.  The hook is that Beregow/Berger is a real person, an acquaintance of Ingold's, and the book is supposedly based upon conversations with him and papers that he left behind, fictionalized into a novel by Ingold.  But this is very cleverly done--at first I took it for granted that Berger was a real person, then at one point I began to doubt that this was the case, then I did some more googling and decided that, as far as I can tell, he was indeed a real person.  As its title suggests, the book is very much about who we really are and where the line is in our own identities between fact and fiction.

As the story begins, Berger--a committed communist--is on the Russian front in World War II and has to kill a captured German soldier.  He moves along with the Russian army and takes part in the occupation of Vienna; he returns to the Soviet Union and becomes a celebrated, albeit minor, Soviet author; in the typical twists and turns of Stalinist Russia, he falls out of favor and is made an example of by being sent to the Gulag; eventually he is released and rehabilitated; after another misstep (and final disillusionment with the communist system) he emigrates during the era of perestroika; through an error he is first sent to Israel with a group of Russian Jews, though he is not himself Jewish, and while there (under documents that have incorrectly assigned him yet another name) he is beaten to within an inch of his life by a group of anti-Semitic thugs; finally he makes his way back to Germany, where he has one last love affair and dies while traveling with his young girlfriend to Vienna, where they revisit the concentration camp he had helped to free.

It was a clever novel that did indeed leave one wondering who the real Kirill Beregow or Carl Berger was, and how one would ever know it.  My only other acquaintance with Ingold is through an occasional newspaper column, but I was favorably impressed by this book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chinese Painting

The Wall Street Journal  has been running some interesting articles under the heading of "The Staying Inside Guide," offering suggestions for artistic or cultural resources to view online during the pandemic.  Yesterday I came across an interesting one entitled "Immersive Painted Worlds," on Chinese painting, about which I know virtually nothing.  (The article may be behind a subscription firewall.) The article has an impressive number of links to various things online, and I watched the first couple, a pair of 15-minute videos from a former BBC program called "The Culture Show," which together form an episode on "The Art of Chinese Painting."  I thought they were quite interesting.  The first episode introduced me to the Mogao Caves of Dunhuang , which I had never heard of before.  Located in the Gobi Desert, they contain a wealth of wall paintings and statues that are well over 1000 years old and were unknown to the outside world for cen...

Paris Cafes Open Again

Now this is good news: I just read in the Times  that cafés in Paris are once again able to open for outdoor service .  I've never even been to Paris, but that is still a welcome sign. I have written before--it probably deserves another reflection sometime--that this lockdown has not been a big deal for me.  I worry about the college, and naturally I'm not thrilled about a salary cut forced by the college's losses.  But in terms of my day-to-day life, the lockdown is more or less irrelevant.  It makes grocery shopping more of a pain, and it keeps me away from my office, but otherwise interferes with little that I want to do. But the thing that I do miss is the opportunity to get to Europe once in a while.  I had to cancel a planned trip to Germany with students over Easter.  And this very morning, as it happens, I was supposed to arrive in Poland for a conference of the Austrian Studies Association.  Alas, those trips were not to be. And ...

Dursli

Back to Gotthelf!  I have already mentioned that I re-read Gotthelf's novella about the five young women who were ruined by drink.  Last week I also re-read the second of his two early novellas tackling the problem of rural alcoholism, Dursli, der Brannteweinsäufer, oder Das heilige Weihnachtsabend  ( Dursli the Brandy Drinker, or The Holy Christmas Eve ).  This story also warns against the pubs springing up all over the Emmentaler countryside and their consequences for the rural poor.  But it is also--even more than I had remembered, in fact--set in the broader political context of the times. Gotthelf begins the novella, in fact, before he ever even introduces the main characters, with about a 10-page discourse on the problematic reception in Switzerland of the ideas of the French Revolution.  Its call for equality and freedom, he says, is naturally interpreted by the poorer classes not in terms of true Christian equality and freedom, but rather as a ...