Skip to main content

Die Armennot


At the beginning of this week I finished re-reading another Gotthelf work, Die Armennot, a title I have never translated to my satisfaction (though it is not difficult)--something like The Poverty Emergency.  This is an outlier among Gotthelf's works.  His large output consists entirely of fiction, except for this one book, a study of rapidly increasing poverty in the 1830's.

In it, he declares that poverty is the great crisis of the age, comparing it to earlier eras' fears of the Turks or the plague.  The poor are increasing, he says, speaking of the "proletariat" almost a decade before Marx and Engels published their "Communist Manifesto."  What is especially alarming, Gotthelf thinks, is not the mere fact of poverty itself, which always exists, but the growing hostility and aggressiveness of the poor toward those who are better off, which he fears could provoke a class war.

Gotthelf attributes this phenomenon to various factors, some of them specific to Switzerland (though he regards it as a European and even global problem).  But of particular interest to me is his situating it in the post-French Revolutionary context.  The ideals of freedom and equality have made their way across the mountains to Switzerland, he says, but they are inevitably misinterpreted by the poor and uneducated, who understandably view them as a promise that the goods of society will be taken from the wealthy and redistributed to them (equality) so that they can satisfy their unfettered desires (freedom).  Hence their anger and hostility when this does not happen.

Gotthelf himself, focusing especially on poor children, argues that only genuine Christian love can supply their needs and solve the problem of class conflict.  In particular, he proposes that charitable societies erect homes for poor children.  These would be run by a married couple who would be father and mother to the children and also responsible for giving them a proper education.  Gotthelf himself was actively involved in founding and running just such a home, a project that was near and dear to  his heart, and he gives a long description of its origins and early years in order to demonstrate that his proposal is a realistic one.

I don't know that Gotthelf's idea could solve the problem of child poverty on a large scale, but I find it interesting that he was proposing in 1840 an idea that we today would call a "faith-based initiative."  And surely he is right that what poor children need are not simply laws (even good laws) and bureaucracy (even good bureaucracy), but rather love and care--or, as he puts it, "Wärme und Licht" (warmth and light).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

E-mail Wit on a Lazy Sunday Afternoon

It seems as though practically every business where I've ever bought anything in the past decade sends me e-mails about their products, specials, deal-of-the-week, etc.  Normally I delete them immediately, without a second glance. But one this afternoon made me hesitate.  I received a "Walgreens Weekly Ad" e-mail.  Its subject line read as follows: "We can't stop lowering prices." So instead of hitting "delete," I sent a quick reply: "In that case, I think I'll wait and shop next week." I have no idea whether or not that reply will go to a real e-mail address and be read by an actual human being.  But I hope so.

Non capisco!

About once a week I get an e-mail from something called the Italian Cultural Institute in New York.  I don't know why.  I know nothing about them and have no idea how I got on their mailing list.  But I generally take a quick look at the e-mail, because every now and then I see something interesting. The other day I got one of these and saw what appeared to be a potentially interesting lecture today.  It was by a professor named Stefano Jossa, currently at Royal Holloway, the University of London.  He was going to be speaking on his new book, in Italian, but the title of which in English would be The Most Beautiful in the World: Why Love the Italian Language .  It sounded intriguing, it was free, all you had to do was register and get a Zoom link.  So I did. It turned out that the lecture was actually being sponsored not by the Italian Cultural Institute in New York, but rather by the one in Montreal.  But who cares, right?  As long as it's not in French, which didn'

The Blessing and Curse of E-mail

I am, in fact, deeply grateful for e-mail.  It allows me to be in ready contact with colleagues both in this country and abroad, and to pursue opportunities I would otherwise never be able to. But then there are days like today.  My e-mail has been increasingly difficult to keep up with for the last year or so.  But just before supper this evening, I looked at how many e-mails I had written and sent today.  The total: exactly 100.  By now, of course, it's a bit more than that. I spent much of the day trying to reschedule a student trip to Germany that was canceled due to the coronavirus crisis.  We were going to travel over Easter; now we will try it next fall instead.  Probably about half of the e-mails were related to that.  I don't even want to know how many words I wrote today.  If they were a book.... Now it's back to real work, reading the first half of Goethe's Sorrows of Young Werther  so that I can put together a mini-lecture for my Humanities students