Skip to main content

Hinter dem Bahnhof


Ingold's Alias was not the only thing I read last Saturday.  In the evening I re-read Hinter dem Bahnhof (Behind the Train Station), by the Swiss author Arno Camenisch.  Camenisch is from the canton of Graubünden and writes in both German and Romansh, the fourth of Switzerland's national languages.  This particular book has various Romansh words tossed in among the German from time to time, giving it a very unusual and distinctive linguistic feel.  There is an English translation available under the title Behind the Station.

The book is actually the second Camenisch's so-called "Bündner Trilogy" (i.e., a trilogy sent in Graubünden), though I didn't realize that when I first picked it up a few years ago, so I will have to go back and read the first one, which I also have.  It's only about 100 pages long and is really quite delightful; I have read a few other things by Camenisch because I enjoyed this one so much.  It is told through the eyes of a boy living in a small town up in the mountains.  We see the ordinary daily activities of a town that has not changed much through the years and is in a sense hanging on, barely, as the rest of the world around it modernizes and moves on.  The cast of characters includes most of the town's inhabitants, and we see the boy raise rabbits, help out in his grandfather's shop, and get into typical young-boy trouble.  In a sense, nothing happens--just a slice of life.  But very nicely done.  Camenisch is one of my favorite contemporary Swiss authors.  His short books offer a look at a vanishing world, affectionate and honest without excessive nostalgia.  I recommend him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chinese Painting

The Wall Street Journal  has been running some interesting articles under the heading of "The Staying Inside Guide," offering suggestions for artistic or cultural resources to view online during the pandemic.  Yesterday I came across an interesting one entitled "Immersive Painted Worlds," on Chinese painting, about which I know virtually nothing.  (The article may be behind a subscription firewall.) The article has an impressive number of links to various things online, and I watched the first couple, a pair of 15-minute videos from a former BBC program called "The Culture Show," which together form an episode on "The Art of Chinese Painting."  I thought they were quite interesting.  The first episode introduced me to the Mogao Caves of Dunhuang , which I had never heard of before.  Located in the Gobi Desert, they contain a wealth of wall paintings and statues that are well over 1000 years old and were unknown to the outside world for cen...

Paris Cafes Open Again

Now this is good news: I just read in the Times  that cafés in Paris are once again able to open for outdoor service .  I've never even been to Paris, but that is still a welcome sign. I have written before--it probably deserves another reflection sometime--that this lockdown has not been a big deal for me.  I worry about the college, and naturally I'm not thrilled about a salary cut forced by the college's losses.  But in terms of my day-to-day life, the lockdown is more or less irrelevant.  It makes grocery shopping more of a pain, and it keeps me away from my office, but otherwise interferes with little that I want to do. But the thing that I do miss is the opportunity to get to Europe once in a while.  I had to cancel a planned trip to Germany with students over Easter.  And this very morning, as it happens, I was supposed to arrive in Poland for a conference of the Austrian Studies Association.  Alas, those trips were not to be. And ...

Dursli

Back to Gotthelf!  I have already mentioned that I re-read Gotthelf's novella about the five young women who were ruined by drink.  Last week I also re-read the second of his two early novellas tackling the problem of rural alcoholism, Dursli, der Brannteweinsäufer, oder Das heilige Weihnachtsabend  ( Dursli the Brandy Drinker, or The Holy Christmas Eve ).  This story also warns against the pubs springing up all over the Emmentaler countryside and their consequences for the rural poor.  But it is also--even more than I had remembered, in fact--set in the broader political context of the times. Gotthelf begins the novella, in fact, before he ever even introduces the main characters, with about a 10-page discourse on the problematic reception in Switzerland of the ideas of the French Revolution.  Its call for equality and freedom, he says, is naturally interpreted by the poorer classes not in terms of true Christian equality and freedom, but rather as a ...