Skip to main content

Books I am Actively Not Reading


There are moments when those books I would like to be reading but am not begin to pile up.  Now is one of them.  These may be books I began but had to stop reading; or ones I wish I were reading; or ones I am reading, but so slowly that it barely counts.  I think of all of these as books that I am actively not reading.  Here are some of mine at present:

  • Peter Handke, Die morawische Nacht
  • Paul Althaus, The Ethics of Martin Luther
  • Czesław Miłosz, The Captive Mind
  • Friedrich Glauser, Wachtmeister Studer
  • Mark Mazower, The Balkans: A Short History
  • Pericles Lewis (ed.), The Cambridge Companion to European Modernism
  • Roger Eatwell and Matthew Goodwin, National Populism: The Revolt Against Liberal Democracy
  • Anton Tantner, Von Strassenlaternen und Wanderdünen: Miniaturen aus dem abseitigen Wien
  • Albert Camus, L'Étranger
  • John Witte, Jr., Law and Protestantism: The Legal Teachings of the Lutheran Reformation
  • Eric Langenbacher and David Conradt, The German Polity, 11th ed.
  • Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman
  • Lukas Bärfuss, Malinois
Sigh.  Had I but world enough and time.

Comments

  1. Beeindruckend! Ich schlage noch weniger Schlaf vor . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ja, dann kann ich noch mehr Bücher nicht lesen!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chinese Painting

The Wall Street Journal  has been running some interesting articles under the heading of "The Staying Inside Guide," offering suggestions for artistic or cultural resources to view online during the pandemic.  Yesterday I came across an interesting one entitled "Immersive Painted Worlds," on Chinese painting, about which I know virtually nothing.  (The article may be behind a subscription firewall.) The article has an impressive number of links to various things online, and I watched the first couple, a pair of 15-minute videos from a former BBC program called "The Culture Show," which together form an episode on "The Art of Chinese Painting."  I thought they were quite interesting.  The first episode introduced me to the Mogao Caves of Dunhuang , which I had never heard of before.  Located in the Gobi Desert, they contain a wealth of wall paintings and statues that are well over 1000 years old and were unknown to the outside world for cen...

Paris Cafes Open Again

Now this is good news: I just read in the Times  that cafés in Paris are once again able to open for outdoor service .  I've never even been to Paris, but that is still a welcome sign. I have written before--it probably deserves another reflection sometime--that this lockdown has not been a big deal for me.  I worry about the college, and naturally I'm not thrilled about a salary cut forced by the college's losses.  But in terms of my day-to-day life, the lockdown is more or less irrelevant.  It makes grocery shopping more of a pain, and it keeps me away from my office, but otherwise interferes with little that I want to do. But the thing that I do miss is the opportunity to get to Europe once in a while.  I had to cancel a planned trip to Germany with students over Easter.  And this very morning, as it happens, I was supposed to arrive in Poland for a conference of the Austrian Studies Association.  Alas, those trips were not to be. And ...

Dursli

Back to Gotthelf!  I have already mentioned that I re-read Gotthelf's novella about the five young women who were ruined by drink.  Last week I also re-read the second of his two early novellas tackling the problem of rural alcoholism, Dursli, der Brannteweinsäufer, oder Das heilige Weihnachtsabend  ( Dursli the Brandy Drinker, or The Holy Christmas Eve ).  This story also warns against the pubs springing up all over the Emmentaler countryside and their consequences for the rural poor.  But it is also--even more than I had remembered, in fact--set in the broader political context of the times. Gotthelf begins the novella, in fact, before he ever even introduces the main characters, with about a 10-page discourse on the problematic reception in Switzerland of the ideas of the French Revolution.  Its call for equality and freedom, he says, is naturally interpreted by the poorer classes not in terms of true Christian equality and freedom, but rather as a ...