Skip to main content

Extending that Duolingo Streak


After Duolingo graciously reminded me earlier this evening that I had not yet practiced French today, I decided I had better take care of that before calling it a night, lest I break my streak of consecutive days of language practice.

So I just took care of that, and in the process I discovered that I hit a milestone of sorts: my Duolingo streak has now reached 400 days!  "Chapeau!," if I may congratulate myself.

Comments

  1. Trés magnifique! Je serai triste si j'entends que t'échouer pour practiquer! Je dois faire ça aussi parce que ma grand-mère me dit toujours qu j'ai l'air d'un homme québecois! J'avais un entretien la dernière semaine pour un position en la Guinée, alors, je dois apprendre comment parler correctement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Unknown,

      Merci beaucoup. Je crois que je t'ai comprendu.... (J'avais besoin d'un dictionnaire.) I will do my best not to disappoint you, and good luck with your interview!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chinese Painting

The Wall Street Journal  has been running some interesting articles under the heading of "The Staying Inside Guide," offering suggestions for artistic or cultural resources to view online during the pandemic.  Yesterday I came across an interesting one entitled "Immersive Painted Worlds," on Chinese painting, about which I know virtually nothing.  (The article may be behind a subscription firewall.) The article has an impressive number of links to various things online, and I watched the first couple, a pair of 15-minute videos from a former BBC program called "The Culture Show," which together form an episode on "The Art of Chinese Painting."  I thought they were quite interesting.  The first episode introduced me to the Mogao Caves of Dunhuang , which I had never heard of before.  Located in the Gobi Desert, they contain a wealth of wall paintings and statues that are well over 1000 years old and were unknown to the outside world for cen...

Hinter dem Bahnhof

Ingold's Alias  was not the only thing I read last Saturday.  In the evening I re-read Hinter dem Bahnhof  ( Behind the Train Station ), by the Swiss author Arno Camenisch .  Camenisch is from the canton of Graubünden and writes in both German and Romansh, the fourth of Switzerland's national languages.  This particular book has various Romansh words tossed in among the German from time to time, giving it a very unusual and distinctive linguistic feel.  There is an English translation available under the title Behind the Station . The book is actually the second Camenisch's so-called "Bündner Trilogy" (i.e., a trilogy sent in Graubünden), though I didn't realize that when I first picked it up a few years ago, so I will have to go back and read the first one, which I also have.  It's only about 100 pages long and is really quite delightful; I have read a few other things by Camenisch because I enjoyed this one so much.  It is told through the ...

Church Again

Maybe I should take a temporary break from posting about things I'm reading to write about something else for a change.  How about church?  Today was the second Sunday we were permitted to return to church in person again.  Last week I was there just with a few of my children, today the whole family was back. It's not quite the same, of course.  Everyone is required to wear masks.  And of course there is social distancing enforced, with many pews blocked off.  For now we are permitted to operate at only 25% of capacity, which in our small parish means no more than 31 people present.  (Though we can sneak in a few more if need be by having my family sit up in the choir loft with me.) To make sure we don't exceed the limit, we have set up a system for people to reserve a spot if they want to attend, which they do by contacting yours truly.  I then keep a list.  So far it hasn't been a problem, though--I don't think word has fully gotten ...