Skip to main content

Gert Jonke


I have been promising for a while to post about the Austrian author Gert Jonke, whom I have mentioned previously.  Today I finished a book of  his, Schule der Geläufigkeit.  Literally that means "The School of Velocity," although there is an English translation with the title Homage to Czerny: Studies in Virtuoso Technique.

I have read the English version before, but not the German.  It is a delightfully quirky little book.  It consists of two parts.  In the first, a brother and sister plan a garden party with an unusual twist: it is to be an exact replica, down to the last detail, of a party they had thrown on the same day one year earlier.  The plan apparently comes off, though when it does, they are unaware of it, because their memory of the day's party blends together with their memory of the earlier party... and of who knows how many similar parties before that.  Only the narrator, a composer who has more or less stopped composing, seems aware of what is happening.  Along the way we get conversations about the part of town that is always covered by smoke, because no matter how high they extend the factory's smoke-belching chimneys, the winds above the town always recede by exactly the same amount, so that the smoke is never blown away; or about a past summer that was either, depending upon whom one believes, extremely hot and dry or else so wet that the water seeped right up out of the ground.  Along the way there is a piano concert by a pianist who has achieved such a high level of technical mastery that he entrances his audience by pounding furiously on the keys without ever producing a single sound.

In the second part, the narrator of part one returns, now accompanied by his brother, himself a former pianist who has now become a mover, specializing in moving (of course) pianos.  They find themselves trapped in the secret attic of the conservatory where they had formerly studied, which is filled with 111 gradually deteriorating pianos, about whose existence no one must know.  The brother regales us with all kinds of bizarre monologues about the proper care and moving of pianos, while the narrator, an alcoholic, suffers fits of delirium tremens.

All very strange, but quite enjoyable, in part due to Jonke's playful use of language, which has a musical quality to it.  And appropriately so, not only because music plays an important role in many of Jonke's works, but also because the title of this particular book is the same as that of a well-known collection of piano studies by the composer and pianist Carl Czerny (like Jonke, an Austrian).  Reading it reminds me of a painting by Luigi Russolo, Music, that is in the Estorick Collection in London:


Jonke, who died in 2009, is buried in a grave of honor in Vienna's Central Cemetery, where I have seen his tombstone (pictured on the German wikipedia Jonke page).  You can find a number of his books available in English translation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chinese Painting

The Wall Street Journal  has been running some interesting articles under the heading of "The Staying Inside Guide," offering suggestions for artistic or cultural resources to view online during the pandemic.  Yesterday I came across an interesting one entitled "Immersive Painted Worlds," on Chinese painting, about which I know virtually nothing.  (The article may be behind a subscription firewall.) The article has an impressive number of links to various things online, and I watched the first couple, a pair of 15-minute videos from a former BBC program called "The Culture Show," which together form an episode on "The Art of Chinese Painting."  I thought they were quite interesting.  The first episode introduced me to the Mogao Caves of Dunhuang , which I had never heard of before.  Located in the Gobi Desert, they contain a wealth of wall paintings and statues that are well over 1000 years old and were unknown to the outside world for cen...

Paris Cafes Open Again

Now this is good news: I just read in the Times  that cafés in Paris are once again able to open for outdoor service .  I've never even been to Paris, but that is still a welcome sign. I have written before--it probably deserves another reflection sometime--that this lockdown has not been a big deal for me.  I worry about the college, and naturally I'm not thrilled about a salary cut forced by the college's losses.  But in terms of my day-to-day life, the lockdown is more or less irrelevant.  It makes grocery shopping more of a pain, and it keeps me away from my office, but otherwise interferes with little that I want to do. But the thing that I do miss is the opportunity to get to Europe once in a while.  I had to cancel a planned trip to Germany with students over Easter.  And this very morning, as it happens, I was supposed to arrive in Poland for a conference of the Austrian Studies Association.  Alas, those trips were not to be. And ...

Dursli

Back to Gotthelf!  I have already mentioned that I re-read Gotthelf's novella about the five young women who were ruined by drink.  Last week I also re-read the second of his two early novellas tackling the problem of rural alcoholism, Dursli, der Brannteweinsäufer, oder Das heilige Weihnachtsabend  ( Dursli the Brandy Drinker, or The Holy Christmas Eve ).  This story also warns against the pubs springing up all over the Emmentaler countryside and their consequences for the rural poor.  But it is also--even more than I had remembered, in fact--set in the broader political context of the times. Gotthelf begins the novella, in fact, before he ever even introduces the main characters, with about a 10-page discourse on the problematic reception in Switzerland of the ideas of the French Revolution.  Its call for equality and freedom, he says, is naturally interpreted by the poorer classes not in terms of true Christian equality and freedom, but rather as a ...