Skip to main content

Good Friday


It snowed last night and today.  Not exactly what I'm looking for in mid-April, but I suppose it contributes to the mood of Good Friday.  My children took advantage of the opportunity to build one last (I hope!) snowman of the winter.

We watched the live Good Friday service from the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception at Catholic University in Washington, DC.  I have been there once before, with my son, when he was visiting colleges several years ago.  It was strange, but also rather solemn, to see such an enormous church empty except for about a dozen people.

Afterwards I watched a performance of Bach's St. John Passion by the Berlin Philharmonic.  Last month I took advantage of their offer of a month's free access to their archives, which is where I found it.  This was a fairly modern production staged by Peter Sellars, about whom I know nothing, which is apparently a sign of my ignorance, since a Google search immediately reveals him to be a somewhat controversial director.  The performance was choreographed, with the soloists and choir moving around the stage in ways designed to tell the story.  It didn't always work--in particular, an early aria with a Mary Magdalene character obviously in love with and at one point passionately kissing Jesus was irritating in its Jesus Christ Superstar-like sensationalism (which it is rather difficult to imagine Bach endorsing).  But for the most part, somewhat to my surprise, I actually found it quite powerful.  Peter's denial of Christ was very well done, and both Pilate and the evangelist John were excellent.  It was a good way to spend part of Good Friday.

(I was curious, so I looked for some reviews of Sellars's version of the St. John Passion.  I found a few quite positive ones, such as this from Forbes, but also an interesting negative review in The Specator, written by someone who had actually performed in it.)

Unless you also signed up for the Berlin Philharmonic's offer, I can't share it with you.  (Though if you did, you can search their digital concert hall for it easily enough.)  So instead, here is a short clip of the greatest Lenten hymn of all time, O Haupt voll Blut und Wunden ("O Sacred Head, now Wounded"), in the setting from Bach's other great oratorio, the St. Matthew Passion--about the first two minutes is all you need.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chinese Painting

The Wall Street Journal  has been running some interesting articles under the heading of "The Staying Inside Guide," offering suggestions for artistic or cultural resources to view online during the pandemic.  Yesterday I came across an interesting one entitled "Immersive Painted Worlds," on Chinese painting, about which I know virtually nothing.  (The article may be behind a subscription firewall.) The article has an impressive number of links to various things online, and I watched the first couple, a pair of 15-minute videos from a former BBC program called "The Culture Show," which together form an episode on "The Art of Chinese Painting."  I thought they were quite interesting.  The first episode introduced me to the Mogao Caves of Dunhuang , which I had never heard of before.  Located in the Gobi Desert, they contain a wealth of wall paintings and statues that are well over 1000 years old and were unknown to the outside world for cen...

Paris Cafes Open Again

Now this is good news: I just read in the Times  that cafés in Paris are once again able to open for outdoor service .  I've never even been to Paris, but that is still a welcome sign. I have written before--it probably deserves another reflection sometime--that this lockdown has not been a big deal for me.  I worry about the college, and naturally I'm not thrilled about a salary cut forced by the college's losses.  But in terms of my day-to-day life, the lockdown is more or less irrelevant.  It makes grocery shopping more of a pain, and it keeps me away from my office, but otherwise interferes with little that I want to do. But the thing that I do miss is the opportunity to get to Europe once in a while.  I had to cancel a planned trip to Germany with students over Easter.  And this very morning, as it happens, I was supposed to arrive in Poland for a conference of the Austrian Studies Association.  Alas, those trips were not to be. And ...

Dursli

Back to Gotthelf!  I have already mentioned that I re-read Gotthelf's novella about the five young women who were ruined by drink.  Last week I also re-read the second of his two early novellas tackling the problem of rural alcoholism, Dursli, der Brannteweinsäufer, oder Das heilige Weihnachtsabend  ( Dursli the Brandy Drinker, or The Holy Christmas Eve ).  This story also warns against the pubs springing up all over the Emmentaler countryside and their consequences for the rural poor.  But it is also--even more than I had remembered, in fact--set in the broader political context of the times. Gotthelf begins the novella, in fact, before he ever even introduces the main characters, with about a 10-page discourse on the problematic reception in Switzerland of the ideas of the French Revolution.  Its call for equality and freedom, he says, is naturally interpreted by the poorer classes not in terms of true Christian equality and freedom, but rather as a ...