Skip to main content

The Radetzky March


I have been pretty quiet this week, because I devoted most of the last few days to reading The Radetzky March, by Joseph Roth (pictured above).  I assigned it for East Meets West and, since I have wanted to read the novel for a long time, I decided I wanted to do it in German.  It's almost 400 pages in my German edition, so it was quite an undertaking.

But it was an excellent novel (and a perfect fit for East Meets West), and I'm glad I made myself do it.  The book tells the story of the last decades of the declining Habsburg Empire by focusing on a few generations of one family, the Trottas.  Early in the reign of Franz Joseph, a young Trotta saves the Kaiser's life at the Battle of Solferino by taking a bullet meant for his emperor.  In return, the Kaiser enobles him, and he becomes known as the "Hero of Solferino."  We see the rise and fall of his family in the persons of his son and grandson, whose lives overlap with Franz Joseph's reign, with the book ending during World War I with the Kaiser's death and, three days later, that of the middle Trotta (the grandson having already died in the war).

Roth does a marvelous job throughout the entire novel of creating a sense of impending doom amid the surface propriety and elegance of aristocratic and military life in the Austro-Hungarian Empire of the late 19th century.  While we focus on the Trottas' fortunes, in the background are gathering the nationalist and ideological forces that threaten the empire and ultimately erupt in war.

I have read some other things by Roth in the past, and I expected this to be good--it is considered his masterpiece, and anyone who works on turn-of-the-century Vienna encounters references to it constantly.  I was not disappointed!  But now I need to get back to everything else that I put on hold for a few days in order to plow through this.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

E-mail Wit on a Lazy Sunday Afternoon

It seems as though practically every business where I've ever bought anything in the past decade sends me e-mails about their products, specials, deal-of-the-week, etc.  Normally I delete them immediately, without a second glance. But one this afternoon made me hesitate.  I received a "Walgreens Weekly Ad" e-mail.  Its subject line read as follows: "We can't stop lowering prices." So instead of hitting "delete," I sent a quick reply: "In that case, I think I'll wait and shop next week." I have no idea whether or not that reply will go to a real e-mail address and be read by an actual human being.  But I hope so.

Non capisco!

About once a week I get an e-mail from something called the Italian Cultural Institute in New York.  I don't know why.  I know nothing about them and have no idea how I got on their mailing list.  But I generally take a quick look at the e-mail, because every now and then I see something interesting. The other day I got one of these and saw what appeared to be a potentially interesting lecture today.  It was by a professor named Stefano Jossa, currently at Royal Holloway, the University of London.  He was going to be speaking on his new book, in Italian, but the title of which in English would be The Most Beautiful in the World: Why Love the Italian Language .  It sounded intriguing, it was free, all you had to do was register and get a Zoom link.  So I did. It turned out that the lecture was actually being sponsored not by the Italian Cultural Institute in New York, but rather by the one in Montreal.  But who cares, right?  As long as it's not in French, which didn'

The Blessing and Curse of E-mail

I am, in fact, deeply grateful for e-mail.  It allows me to be in ready contact with colleagues both in this country and abroad, and to pursue opportunities I would otherwise never be able to. But then there are days like today.  My e-mail has been increasingly difficult to keep up with for the last year or so.  But just before supper this evening, I looked at how many e-mails I had written and sent today.  The total: exactly 100.  By now, of course, it's a bit more than that. I spent much of the day trying to reschedule a student trip to Germany that was canceled due to the coronavirus crisis.  We were going to travel over Easter; now we will try it next fall instead.  Probably about half of the e-mails were related to that.  I don't even want to know how many words I wrote today.  If they were a book.... Now it's back to real work, reading the first half of Goethe's Sorrows of Young Werther  so that I can put together a mini-lecture for my Humanities students