Skip to main content

"Voilà, un homme!"


"Behold: a man!"  Thus is Napoleon said to have greeted Goethe when the two met at Erfurt in 1808.  Napoleon read Die Leiden des jungen Werthers, which I am currently teaching in Humanities, multiple times.

Goethe is of course the giant of German literature, and one of the towering figures of European culture.  To help prepare for class, I was poking around in Jeremy Adler's new life of Goethe, and he quotes the great English critic Matthew Arnold on Goethe:

"Goethe is the greatest poet of modern times, not because he is one of the half-dozen human beings who in the history of our race have shown the most signal gift for poetry, but because, having a very considerable gift for poetry, he was at the same time, in the width, depth, and richness of his criticism of life, by far our greatest modern man."

That's pretty high praise.  The scope of Goethe's interests and influence was remarkable, as Daniel Johnson nicely lays out in the early part of this review.

I have not read as much Goethe as I should.  Part One of Faust, of course, and a few other things now and then.  There is never quite enough time to read!  But it is impossible to hear the list of his achievements (look at that Johnson essay) and not think that he deserves more sustained attention.

It would be interesting to build a course around Goethe's life and works.  He lived from 1749 to 1832--through the Seven Years' War (for Americans, the French and Indian War), the American Revolution, the French Revolution, and the entire Napoleonic period with the revolutionary waves in its aftermath.  Goethe's own work went through several stages, covered multiple genres, and intersected with philosophy and science.  So one could imagine using Goethe as the pivot for a course examining the development of European politics and culture in the late 18th and early 19th centuries.  It would be the sort of thing I enjoy teaching.  Maybe one day.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chinese Painting

The Wall Street Journal  has been running some interesting articles under the heading of "The Staying Inside Guide," offering suggestions for artistic or cultural resources to view online during the pandemic.  Yesterday I came across an interesting one entitled "Immersive Painted Worlds," on Chinese painting, about which I know virtually nothing.  (The article may be behind a subscription firewall.) The article has an impressive number of links to various things online, and I watched the first couple, a pair of 15-minute videos from a former BBC program called "The Culture Show," which together form an episode on "The Art of Chinese Painting."  I thought they were quite interesting.  The first episode introduced me to the Mogao Caves of Dunhuang , which I had never heard of before.  Located in the Gobi Desert, they contain a wealth of wall paintings and statues that are well over 1000 years old and were unknown to the outside world for cen...

Church Again

Maybe I should take a temporary break from posting about things I'm reading to write about something else for a change.  How about church?  Today was the second Sunday we were permitted to return to church in person again.  Last week I was there just with a few of my children, today the whole family was back. It's not quite the same, of course.  Everyone is required to wear masks.  And of course there is social distancing enforced, with many pews blocked off.  For now we are permitted to operate at only 25% of capacity, which in our small parish means no more than 31 people present.  (Though we can sneak in a few more if need be by having my family sit up in the choir loft with me.) To make sure we don't exceed the limit, we have set up a system for people to reserve a spot if they want to attend, which they do by contacting yours truly.  I then keep a list.  So far it hasn't been a problem, though--I don't think word has fully gotten ...

Paris Cafes Open Again

Now this is good news: I just read in the Times  that cafés in Paris are once again able to open for outdoor service .  I've never even been to Paris, but that is still a welcome sign. I have written before--it probably deserves another reflection sometime--that this lockdown has not been a big deal for me.  I worry about the college, and naturally I'm not thrilled about a salary cut forced by the college's losses.  But in terms of my day-to-day life, the lockdown is more or less irrelevant.  It makes grocery shopping more of a pain, and it keeps me away from my office, but otherwise interferes with little that I want to do. But the thing that I do miss is the opportunity to get to Europe once in a while.  I had to cancel a planned trip to Germany with students over Easter.  And this very morning, as it happens, I was supposed to arrive in Poland for a conference of the Austrian Studies Association.  Alas, those trips were not to be. And ...