Skip to main content

Waiting


Yesterday was Good Friday.  Tomorrow is Easter.  Today... we wait.  Most years, I think Holy Saturday feels a little awkward.  You aren't quite sure what to do with yourself.  It's hard to be as solemn as Good Friday.  But you can't celebrate either, not yet.  So you wait.

But this year, Holy Saturday seems to have an added layer of meaning.  Because that is exactly what we are all doing: just waiting.  Waiting to get out of the house again and go someplace, to see friends and family, to return to work.  Hoping that the current moment,  the awkward in-between moment of waiting, will end.

Yesterday evening I hit the halfway point in my reading through the Psalms, which some of you are doing along with me in the Psalms Challenge.  This morning I started with Psalm 77, which turned out to be a very meaningful psalm for Holy Saturday.  The psalmist begins with a cry to God for help:

          I cry aloud to God,
          aloud to God, that he may hear me.
          In the day of my trouble I seek the Lord....

He misses God's presence and feels abandoned:

          Has his steadfast love for ever ceased?
          Are his promises at an end for all time?
          Has God forgotten to be gracious?

Yet he remembers God's faithfulness in the past as he led his people on the Exodus from Egypt:

          Thy way was through the sea,
          thy path through the great waters;
          yet thy footprints were unseen.

Today God's footprints are unseen, and we wait for him to lead his people forth again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

E-mail Wit on a Lazy Sunday Afternoon

It seems as though practically every business where I've ever bought anything in the past decade sends me e-mails about their products, specials, deal-of-the-week, etc.  Normally I delete them immediately, without a second glance. But one this afternoon made me hesitate.  I received a "Walgreens Weekly Ad" e-mail.  Its subject line read as follows: "We can't stop lowering prices." So instead of hitting "delete," I sent a quick reply: "In that case, I think I'll wait and shop next week." I have no idea whether or not that reply will go to a real e-mail address and be read by an actual human being.  But I hope so.

Non capisco!

About once a week I get an e-mail from something called the Italian Cultural Institute in New York.  I don't know why.  I know nothing about them and have no idea how I got on their mailing list.  But I generally take a quick look at the e-mail, because every now and then I see something interesting. The other day I got one of these and saw what appeared to be a potentially interesting lecture today.  It was by a professor named Stefano Jossa, currently at Royal Holloway, the University of London.  He was going to be speaking on his new book, in Italian, but the title of which in English would be The Most Beautiful in the World: Why Love the Italian Language .  It sounded intriguing, it was free, all you had to do was register and get a Zoom link.  So I did. It turned out that the lecture was actually being sponsored not by the Italian Cultural Institute in New York, but rather by the one in Montreal.  But who cares, right?  As long as it's not in French, which didn'

The Blessing and Curse of E-mail

I am, in fact, deeply grateful for e-mail.  It allows me to be in ready contact with colleagues both in this country and abroad, and to pursue opportunities I would otherwise never be able to. But then there are days like today.  My e-mail has been increasingly difficult to keep up with for the last year or so.  But just before supper this evening, I looked at how many e-mails I had written and sent today.  The total: exactly 100.  By now, of course, it's a bit more than that. I spent much of the day trying to reschedule a student trip to Germany that was canceled due to the coronavirus crisis.  We were going to travel over Easter; now we will try it next fall instead.  Probably about half of the e-mails were related to that.  I don't even want to know how many words I wrote today.  If they were a book.... Now it's back to real work, reading the first half of Goethe's Sorrows of Young Werther  so that I can put together a mini-lecture for my Humanities students