Skip to main content

Finished: Leiden und Freuden eines Schulmeisters


Finally got it done last night: I finished re-reading Jeremias Gotthelf's second novel, Leiden und Freuden eines Schulmeisters (The Sorrows and Joys of a Schoolteacher).  It totals about 775 pages, in two volumes, so it was an undertaking.

Gotthelf, a pastor, was deeply committed to the cause of educational reform, and the novel is not only literature but also social criticism.  It constitutes an extended plea to improve the conditions of schools and teachers.  In rural Switzerland in the early 19th century, teachers were paid very poorly, they received little training, and the homes they were provided to live in--adjoining their schools (sometimes in the same building)--were often in poor condition, like the schools themselves.  The local farmers often regarded the schools as of little value, sending their children only when they weren't needed on the farm.  They were uninterested in education beyond the minimum of some reading and writing, basic sums, and catechetical memorization.

Gotthelf believed that education was essential for both moral and political reasons: moral, in order to develop the child's spiritual and intellectual capacities; political, in order to produce capable democratic citizens.  So in this second novel he takes up arms in defense of under-resourced teachers and schools.

The last 100 pages or so drag a bit, I admit, as Gotthelf treats us to extended discussions of educational theory and of the politics of education reform in the canton of Bern during the 1830's.  But the portrayal of the teacher Peter Käser and his wife Mädeli--a woman of great patience and strength, the real anchor of the household, who like so many of Gotthelf's female characters outshines her husband--is moving and compelling.

Onward to the next book!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chinese Painting

The Wall Street Journal  has been running some interesting articles under the heading of "The Staying Inside Guide," offering suggestions for artistic or cultural resources to view online during the pandemic.  Yesterday I came across an interesting one entitled "Immersive Painted Worlds," on Chinese painting, about which I know virtually nothing.  (The article may be behind a subscription firewall.) The article has an impressive number of links to various things online, and I watched the first couple, a pair of 15-minute videos from a former BBC program called "The Culture Show," which together form an episode on "The Art of Chinese Painting."  I thought they were quite interesting.  The first episode introduced me to the Mogao Caves of Dunhuang , which I had never heard of before.  Located in the Gobi Desert, they contain a wealth of wall paintings and statues that are well over 1000 years old and were unknown to the outside world for cen...

Paris Cafes Open Again

Now this is good news: I just read in the Times  that cafés in Paris are once again able to open for outdoor service .  I've never even been to Paris, but that is still a welcome sign. I have written before--it probably deserves another reflection sometime--that this lockdown has not been a big deal for me.  I worry about the college, and naturally I'm not thrilled about a salary cut forced by the college's losses.  But in terms of my day-to-day life, the lockdown is more or less irrelevant.  It makes grocery shopping more of a pain, and it keeps me away from my office, but otherwise interferes with little that I want to do. But the thing that I do miss is the opportunity to get to Europe once in a while.  I had to cancel a planned trip to Germany with students over Easter.  And this very morning, as it happens, I was supposed to arrive in Poland for a conference of the Austrian Studies Association.  Alas, those trips were not to be. And ...

Dursli

Back to Gotthelf!  I have already mentioned that I re-read Gotthelf's novella about the five young women who were ruined by drink.  Last week I also re-read the second of his two early novellas tackling the problem of rural alcoholism, Dursli, der Brannteweinsäufer, oder Das heilige Weihnachtsabend  ( Dursli the Brandy Drinker, or The Holy Christmas Eve ).  This story also warns against the pubs springing up all over the Emmentaler countryside and their consequences for the rural poor.  But it is also--even more than I had remembered, in fact--set in the broader political context of the times. Gotthelf begins the novella, in fact, before he ever even introduces the main characters, with about a 10-page discourse on the problematic reception in Switzerland of the ideas of the French Revolution.  Its call for equality and freedom, he says, is naturally interpreted by the poorer classes not in terms of true Christian equality and freedom, but rather as a ...