Skip to main content

Multiflora Rose


I haven't posted for several days, I see.  Partly I blame it on the time warp that is Houghton during summer break in the middle of a pandemic.  Partly I have also been deep in another Gotthelf novel--more on that at some appropriate time.  Partly I have taken advantage of some better weather to do a little work in the yard,  cutting out massive quantities of (I think) this plant.

We have a bit of a slope behind our house, not very large, but over the past years it has been gradually giving way to various random things that take root and sprout up.  One of the worse offenders looks like the plant pictured here, multiflora rose, an invasive species.  When it blooms, it looks kind of like a wild rose, with pretty clusters of white flowers (though it tends not to bloom much in the shade).  It is, nevertheless, a genuine plague.

The things pop up everywhere, sending out shoots to form new plants. They are almost impossible to get rid of.  They grow like crazy.  They shoot up very high and will grow up inside and tangle themselves up with trees and other plants.  Because of the thorns, they are a pain to get rid of.

I have cut out various stems down low and then tugged at them with all my might to pull them out of the trees with which they were intertwined.  Usually I've been successful.  Several of the stems I've removed have turned out, when I finally got them down and laid them out on the ground, to be a good twenty feet long.  A real workout!

Here is some info on the plant (assuming I've identified it correctly), including a little video, from the USDA.  I have come to think of it as practically a personal enemy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chinese Painting

The Wall Street Journal  has been running some interesting articles under the heading of "The Staying Inside Guide," offering suggestions for artistic or cultural resources to view online during the pandemic.  Yesterday I came across an interesting one entitled "Immersive Painted Worlds," on Chinese painting, about which I know virtually nothing.  (The article may be behind a subscription firewall.) The article has an impressive number of links to various things online, and I watched the first couple, a pair of 15-minute videos from a former BBC program called "The Culture Show," which together form an episode on "The Art of Chinese Painting."  I thought they were quite interesting.  The first episode introduced me to the Mogao Caves of Dunhuang , which I had never heard of before.  Located in the Gobi Desert, they contain a wealth of wall paintings and statues that are well over 1000 years old and were unknown to the outside world for cen...

Church Again

Maybe I should take a temporary break from posting about things I'm reading to write about something else for a change.  How about church?  Today was the second Sunday we were permitted to return to church in person again.  Last week I was there just with a few of my children, today the whole family was back. It's not quite the same, of course.  Everyone is required to wear masks.  And of course there is social distancing enforced, with many pews blocked off.  For now we are permitted to operate at only 25% of capacity, which in our small parish means no more than 31 people present.  (Though we can sneak in a few more if need be by having my family sit up in the choir loft with me.) To make sure we don't exceed the limit, we have set up a system for people to reserve a spot if they want to attend, which they do by contacting yours truly.  I then keep a list.  So far it hasn't been a problem, though--I don't think word has fully gotten ...

Paris Cafes Open Again

Now this is good news: I just read in the Times  that cafés in Paris are once again able to open for outdoor service .  I've never even been to Paris, but that is still a welcome sign. I have written before--it probably deserves another reflection sometime--that this lockdown has not been a big deal for me.  I worry about the college, and naturally I'm not thrilled about a salary cut forced by the college's losses.  But in terms of my day-to-day life, the lockdown is more or less irrelevant.  It makes grocery shopping more of a pain, and it keeps me away from my office, but otherwise interferes with little that I want to do. But the thing that I do miss is the opportunity to get to Europe once in a while.  I had to cancel a planned trip to Germany with students over Easter.  And this very morning, as it happens, I was supposed to arrive in Poland for a conference of the Austrian Studies Association.  Alas, those trips were not to be. And ...