Skip to main content

Neuer Berner Kalender


I have read much of Jeremias Gotthelf's writings--all of the novels, many of the novellas and short stories.  But I had never read his "Kalender" before.  Until now.

For six years, from 1839 to 1845, Gotthelf edited the Neuer Berner Kalender, the "New Bernese Almanac."  "Kalender" looks like "calendar," but in fact it is what we would probably call an almanac, in the sense of the Old Farmer's Almanac that you may have seen in grocery stores or magazines racks each year.  The almanac was some of the primary reading material for rural households, many of which might have contained only two things to read: a Bible, and an almanac.

For these yearly almanacs, Gotthelf wrote a motley assortment of texts: month-by-month accounts of the weather and news from the previous year, reflections on different Christian virtues that sound more like sermons, political and social satires, short stories, even shorter anecdotes of one sort or another, all with a general ethical and instructive purpose.  Some of the stories are quite good, others less so; some are very funny; and some of the material is tough to follow without a detailed set of editorial notes explaining context and references (which I expect appears in the new, currently in progress, historical-critical edition of Gotthelf's works... much too expensive, alas, for yours truly).

I read all six of the almanacs that Gotthelf edited, before he stopped this particular project after some disagreements with his publisher, who was disappointed by the sales figures.  About 700 pages in all.  At their best, the stories and other pieces provide a nice glimpse into his political and religious ideas, as he reacts not only against local Swiss events but also broader European trends such as the aftermath of the French Revolution or the growth of communism.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

E-mail Wit on a Lazy Sunday Afternoon

It seems as though practically every business where I've ever bought anything in the past decade sends me e-mails about their products, specials, deal-of-the-week, etc.  Normally I delete them immediately, without a second glance. But one this afternoon made me hesitate.  I received a "Walgreens Weekly Ad" e-mail.  Its subject line read as follows: "We can't stop lowering prices." So instead of hitting "delete," I sent a quick reply: "In that case, I think I'll wait and shop next week." I have no idea whether or not that reply will go to a real e-mail address and be read by an actual human being.  But I hope so.

Non capisco!

About once a week I get an e-mail from something called the Italian Cultural Institute in New York.  I don't know why.  I know nothing about them and have no idea how I got on their mailing list.  But I generally take a quick look at the e-mail, because every now and then I see something interesting. The other day I got one of these and saw what appeared to be a potentially interesting lecture today.  It was by a professor named Stefano Jossa, currently at Royal Holloway, the University of London.  He was going to be speaking on his new book, in Italian, but the title of which in English would be The Most Beautiful in the World: Why Love the Italian Language .  It sounded intriguing, it was free, all you had to do was register and get a Zoom link.  So I did. It turned out that the lecture was actually being sponsored not by the Italian Cultural Institute in New York, but rather by the one in Montreal.  But who cares, right?  As long as it's not in French, which didn'

The Blessing and Curse of E-mail

I am, in fact, deeply grateful for e-mail.  It allows me to be in ready contact with colleagues both in this country and abroad, and to pursue opportunities I would otherwise never be able to. But then there are days like today.  My e-mail has been increasingly difficult to keep up with for the last year or so.  But just before supper this evening, I looked at how many e-mails I had written and sent today.  The total: exactly 100.  By now, of course, it's a bit more than that. I spent much of the day trying to reschedule a student trip to Germany that was canceled due to the coronavirus crisis.  We were going to travel over Easter; now we will try it next fall instead.  Probably about half of the e-mails were related to that.  I don't even want to know how many words I wrote today.  If they were a book.... Now it's back to real work, reading the first half of Goethe's Sorrows of Young Werther  so that I can put together a mini-lecture for my Humanities students