Skip to main content

Tired After a Full Week


I am recovering after a week of seminar discussions about Dietrich von Hildebrand.  They were quite interesting but made for a long week.  I generally had about an hour to read some Gotthelf or answer e-mail in the mornings, then a few hours of seminar until 1pm, with 2-3 more hours after lunch.  Then in the evenings I would catch up on my reading for the next day's sessions and grade some exams for my online classes.  There is something about spending that many hours a day in computer Zoom sessions--especially with the weather as hot and muggy as it was last week--that makes you tired, even without grading exams late into the night.

I did manage to make it through Hildebrand's book on The Heart, so I got to add that to my list of books read this summer.  Yesterday and today I also read a short book by Peter Handke, Lucie im Wald mit den Dingsda (Lucy in the Forest with Some Thingummies).  I'll have to post about Handke sometime, because I'm working on a paper on him (well, at least in theory I am working on it...).  I've read about a half dozen books by Handke and couldn't really say that I've been all that enthusiastic about them, although I did like this one, which was almost like a children's story.

I have read a few other things the last couple of weeks that I'll make note of one of these days.

This morning was also of course church, with the usual masking and social-distancing precautions.  We have had pretty low attendance since re-opening.  I'm not sure if people are nervous about coming back or if some of them aren't aware yet that we're open again.  On a hot day like today, some folks may not relish the thought of sitting around with a mask for an hour.  Since we aren't allowed to sing, it does mean that my work at the organ is not too difficult.

I'll have to see if I can get back in the flow with my Gotthelf research this week.  It's easy to lose momentum over the summer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chinese Painting

The Wall Street Journal  has been running some interesting articles under the heading of "The Staying Inside Guide," offering suggestions for artistic or cultural resources to view online during the pandemic.  Yesterday I came across an interesting one entitled "Immersive Painted Worlds," on Chinese painting, about which I know virtually nothing.  (The article may be behind a subscription firewall.) The article has an impressive number of links to various things online, and I watched the first couple, a pair of 15-minute videos from a former BBC program called "The Culture Show," which together form an episode on "The Art of Chinese Painting."  I thought they were quite interesting.  The first episode introduced me to the Mogao Caves of Dunhuang , which I had never heard of before.  Located in the Gobi Desert, they contain a wealth of wall paintings and statues that are well over 1000 years old and were unknown to the outside world for cen...

Paris Cafes Open Again

Now this is good news: I just read in the Times  that cafés in Paris are once again able to open for outdoor service .  I've never even been to Paris, but that is still a welcome sign. I have written before--it probably deserves another reflection sometime--that this lockdown has not been a big deal for me.  I worry about the college, and naturally I'm not thrilled about a salary cut forced by the college's losses.  But in terms of my day-to-day life, the lockdown is more or less irrelevant.  It makes grocery shopping more of a pain, and it keeps me away from my office, but otherwise interferes with little that I want to do. But the thing that I do miss is the opportunity to get to Europe once in a while.  I had to cancel a planned trip to Germany with students over Easter.  And this very morning, as it happens, I was supposed to arrive in Poland for a conference of the Austrian Studies Association.  Alas, those trips were not to be. And ...

Dursli

Back to Gotthelf!  I have already mentioned that I re-read Gotthelf's novella about the five young women who were ruined by drink.  Last week I also re-read the second of his two early novellas tackling the problem of rural alcoholism, Dursli, der Brannteweinsäufer, oder Das heilige Weihnachtsabend  ( Dursli the Brandy Drinker, or The Holy Christmas Eve ).  This story also warns against the pubs springing up all over the Emmentaler countryside and their consequences for the rural poor.  But it is also--even more than I had remembered, in fact--set in the broader political context of the times. Gotthelf begins the novella, in fact, before he ever even introduces the main characters, with about a 10-page discourse on the problematic reception in Switzerland of the ideas of the French Revolution.  Its call for equality and freedom, he says, is naturally interpreted by the poorer classes not in terms of true Christian equality and freedom, but rather as a ...