Skip to main content

What to Write About?


I haven't been posting much--not sure what to write about.  I sit and read Jeremias Gotthelf all morning.   Then after lunch I either read a little more Gotthelf or work on my online classes.  Late afternoon, weather permitting, I go out and mow the yard or pull out weeds and giant thorny shrubs.  And in the evening its posting to the forum for an online class, or grading some exams, or reading a bit more.  Not a lot of variety!  Which is fine with me, but not very interesting to write about.

I suppose I could comment on public affairs.  There might be a few things going on these days, like a country exploding in insanity.  But that is less interesting than Gotthelf, frankly.

We did have a slight diversion this afternoon when a fellow showed up to replace the windshield on our minivan.  Right about the time we went on lockdown, a truck kicked up a rock that put a crack in the windshield.  I was trying to avoid unnecessary contacts, and I was hardly driving at all anyway, so I hadn't done anything about it yet.  But it had grown, and it was time.  So Allstate sent someone to our house, and it was out with the old windshield, in with the new.  Not bad.  That doesn't happen every day, fortunately.

(not my daughters)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chinese Painting

The Wall Street Journal  has been running some interesting articles under the heading of "The Staying Inside Guide," offering suggestions for artistic or cultural resources to view online during the pandemic.  Yesterday I came across an interesting one entitled "Immersive Painted Worlds," on Chinese painting, about which I know virtually nothing.  (The article may be behind a subscription firewall.) The article has an impressive number of links to various things online, and I watched the first couple, a pair of 15-minute videos from a former BBC program called "The Culture Show," which together form an episode on "The Art of Chinese Painting."  I thought they were quite interesting.  The first episode introduced me to the Mogao Caves of Dunhuang , which I had never heard of before.  Located in the Gobi Desert, they contain a wealth of wall paintings and statues that are well over 1000 years old and were unknown to the outside world for cen...

Paris Cafes Open Again

Now this is good news: I just read in the Times  that cafés in Paris are once again able to open for outdoor service .  I've never even been to Paris, but that is still a welcome sign. I have written before--it probably deserves another reflection sometime--that this lockdown has not been a big deal for me.  I worry about the college, and naturally I'm not thrilled about a salary cut forced by the college's losses.  But in terms of my day-to-day life, the lockdown is more or less irrelevant.  It makes grocery shopping more of a pain, and it keeps me away from my office, but otherwise interferes with little that I want to do. But the thing that I do miss is the opportunity to get to Europe once in a while.  I had to cancel a planned trip to Germany with students over Easter.  And this very morning, as it happens, I was supposed to arrive in Poland for a conference of the Austrian Studies Association.  Alas, those trips were not to be. And ...

Dursli

Back to Gotthelf!  I have already mentioned that I re-read Gotthelf's novella about the five young women who were ruined by drink.  Last week I also re-read the second of his two early novellas tackling the problem of rural alcoholism, Dursli, der Brannteweinsäufer, oder Das heilige Weihnachtsabend  ( Dursli the Brandy Drinker, or The Holy Christmas Eve ).  This story also warns against the pubs springing up all over the Emmentaler countryside and their consequences for the rural poor.  But it is also--even more than I had remembered, in fact--set in the broader political context of the times. Gotthelf begins the novella, in fact, before he ever even introduces the main characters, with about a 10-page discourse on the problematic reception in Switzerland of the ideas of the French Revolution.  Its call for equality and freedom, he says, is naturally interpreted by the poorer classes not in terms of true Christian equality and freedom, but rather as a ...